You are viewing documentation for an older version of Confluent Platform. For the latest, click here.
Tutorials and Resources¶
- Using Confluent Platform to monitor Kafka streaming ETL deployments
- This Docker-based demo shows you how to monitor Kafka streaming ETL deployments using Control Center. You can follow along with the playbook and watch the video tutorials.
- Confluent Platform Demos and Code Example Repository
- Demo applications and code examples for Confluent Platform and Apache Kafka.
- Kafka Streams Example Repository
- Demo applications and code examples for Apache Kafka’s Streams API.
- Docker images for Confluent Platform
- Docker images for deploying and running the Confluent Platform.
- Security Tutorial
- This tutorial is a step-by-step guide to configuring the Confluent Platform with SSL encryption, SASL authentication, and authorization
- Designing Event Driven Systems (Microservices) Demo
- This project goes hand in hand with the book ‘Designing Event Driven Systems’, demonstrating how you can build a small microservices application with Kafka and Kafka Streams.
The Confluent blog contains many technical blog posts, including:
- Introducing Kafka Streams: Stream Processing Made Simple
- Describes the major new features in Apache Kafka v0.10: Kafka’s Streams API. The Streams API, available as a Java library that is part of the official Kafka project, is the easiest way to write mission-critical real-time applications and microservices with all the benefits of Kafka’s server-side cluster technology.
- Putting Apache Kafka To Use: A Practical Guide to Building a Streaming Platform
- A two part post that discusses our experience with real-time data streams and what is required to be successful with this new area of technology. All of this is based on real experience: we spent the last five years building Apache Kafka, transitioning LinkedIn to a fully stream-based architecture, and helping a number of Silicon Valley tech companies do the same thing.
- Introducing the Kafka Consumer: Getting Started with the New Apache Kafka 0.9 Consumer Client
- This blog describes how we redesigned the producer and consumer clients to support many use cases that were hard or impossible with the old clients and establish a set of APIs we could support over the long haul.
- How to choose the number of topics/partitions in a Kafka cluster?
- This blog explains a few important determining factors and provides simple formulas to use when choosing the number of topics and partitions in a Kafka cluster.
- Exactly-once Semantics are Possible: Here’s How Kafka Does it
- This blog discusses what exactly-once semantics mean in Apache Kafka, why it is a hard problem, and how the new idempotence and transactions features in Kafka enable correct exactly-once stream processing using Kafka’s Streams API.
Video Tutorials and Screencasts¶
The Confluent YouTube channel provides a great resource, including tutorials, how-tos, customer use cases, and general Confluent education. This content is frequently updated and so it is recommended that you subscribe.
- Intro to Streams | Apache Kafka Streams API
- The Streams API of Apache Kafka is the easiest way to write mission-critical real-time applications and microservices with all the benefits of Kafka’s server-side cluster technology. It allows you to build standard Java or Scala applications.
- KSQL from Confluent | Streaming SQL for Apache Kafka
- KSQL is an open source streaming SQL engine that implements continuous, interactive queries against Apache Kafka. KSQL makes it easy to read, write and process streaming data in real-time, at scale, using SQL-like semantics.
- Neha Narkhede | Kafka Summit 2017 Keynote (Go Against the Flow: Databases and Stream Processing)
- Neha Narkhede is co-founder and CTO at Confluent. Prior to founding Confluent, Neha led streams infrastructure at LinkedIn, where she was responsible for LinkedIn’s streaming infrastructure built on top of Apache Kafka® and Apache Samza.
- Microservices Explained by Confluent
- Microservices architectures enable organizations to evolve their systems away from the slow and unresponsive shared-state architectures of the past. Confluent provides a streaming platform for incorporating data in flight into a lightweight, efficient, and responsive microservices architecture.
- Introducing the Confluent CLI
- The Confluent Command Line Interface (CLI) helps you speed up development by making it easy to get up and running. You will be able to iterate more quickly when implementing your apps and interact with the entire Confluent ecosystem.
You can find the Confluent white papers at https://www.confluent.io/resources/, including:
- Confluent Enterprise Reference Architecture
- This white paper describes the reference architecture of Confluent Platform, which is the most complete platform to build enterprise-scale streaming pipelines using Apache Kafka and to simplify the development of stream processing applications.
- Optimizing Your Apache Kafka Deployment
- This white paper discusses how to optimize your Apache Kafka deployment for various services goals including throughput, latency, durability and availability. It is intended for Kafka administrators and developers planning to deploy Kafka in production.
- Microservices in the Apache Kafka Ecosystem
- This white paper provides a brief overview of how microservices can be built in the Apache Kafka ecosystem.
- Disaster Recovery for Multi-Datacenter Kafka Deployments
- This white paper provides a practical guide to configuring multiple Apache Kafka clusters so that if a disaster scenario strikes, you have a plan for failover, failback, and ultimately successful recovery.