Schema Registry and Confluent Cloud¶
You can work with Schema Registry on Confluent Cloud in multiple ways:
- Connect a self-managed Schema Registry to Confluent Cloud (described below)
- Migrate schemas from a self-managed Schema Registry to Confluent Cloud (one-time migration or ongoing)
- Use the native Confluent Cloud Schema Registry
Connect self-managed Schema Registry to Confluent Cloud¶
You can connect a self-managed or on-premises Schema Registry to Confluent Cloud as described in this section.
- Access to Confluent Cloud.
- Confluent Cloud CLI installed and configured.
- A Confluent Cloud instance is running.
- Confluent Platform
The Confluent Platform installation provides the binaries for Schema Registry that run locally and connect to your Confluent Cloud cluster. You do not have to start the other Confluent Platform services.
Configure and connect¶
Configure Schema Registry by modifying
etc/schema-registry/schema-registry.properties. The minimally required Schema Registry property settings for Confluent Cloud are provided below:
# If set to true, API requests that fail will include extra debugging information, including stack traces. debug=false # REQUIRED: Specifies the bootstrap servers for your Kafka cluster. It is used for selecting the primary # Schema Registry instance and for storing the registered schema data. kafkastore.bootstrap.servers=<bootstrap-servers> # REQUIRED: Specifies Confluent Cloud authentication. kafkastore.sasl.jaas.config=org.apache.kafka.common.security.plain.PlainLoginModule required \ username="<api-key>" \ password="<api-secret>"; # Configures Schema Registry to use SASL authentication. kafkastore.sasl.mechanism=PLAIN # Configures Schema Registry for SSL encryption. kafkastore.security.protocol=SASL_SSL # Specifies the name of the topic to store schemas in. kafkastore.topic=_schemas # Specifies the address the socket server listens on. The format is # "listeners = listener_name://host_name:port". For example, "listeners = PLAINTEXT://your.host.name:9092". listeners=http://0.0.0.0:8081
Start Schema Registry with the
- To learn how to migrate schemas from an on-premises (self-managed) Schema Registry to Confluent Cloud, see Migrate Schemas.
- To configure and run native Confluent Cloud Schema Registry, see Manage Schemas on Confluent Cloud.
- For more information about running a cluster, see the Schema Registry documentation.
- To view a working example of hybrid Apache Kafka® clusters from self-hosted to Confluent Cloud, see the Confluent Cloud demo.
- For example configs for all Confluent Platform components and clients connecting to Confluent Cloud, see template examples for components.
- To look at all the code used in the Confluent Cloud demo, see the Confluent Cloud demo examples.