FAQ for Confluent Cloud¶
This topic provides answers to general Confluent Cloud questions.
What cloud providers are supported?¶
If you don't see your region listed, contact Confluent. Additional regions can be supported by request.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- ap-southeast-1 (Singapore)
- ap-southeast-2 (Sydney)
- ca-central-1 (Canada Central) 
- eu-central-1 (Frankfurt)
- eu-west-1 (Ireland)
- eu-west-2 (London)
- us-east-1 (N. Virginia)
- us-east-2 (Ohio)
- us-west-1 (N. California)
- us-west-2 (Oregon)
- Azure (Microsoft Azure)
- southeastasia (Singapore)
- uswest2 (Washington)
- westeurope (Netherlands)
- GCP (Google Cloud Platform)
- asia-east2 (Hong Kong)
- australia-southeast1 (Sydney)
- europe-north (Finland)
- europe-west1 (Belgium)
- europe-west2 (London)
- europe-west3 (Frankfurt)
- europe-west4 (Netherlands)
- us-central1 (Iowa)
- us-east1 (S. Carolina)
- us-east4 (N. Virginia)
- us-west1 (Oregon)
- us-west2 (Los Angeles)
|||Region only supports single zone deployments of Confluent Cloud|
What compliance standards does Confluent Cloud offer?¶
|Description||Confluent Cloud Enterprise||Confluent Cloud|
|PCI level 2||Yes||Yes|
|SOC 1, SOC 2, SOC 3||Yes||Yes|
What version of Kafka does Confluent Cloud use?¶
Confluent Cloud runs the latest version of Confluent Platform, including all released and to-be-released updates.
- After a new version of Kafka is released, there is an expected lag before all Confluent Cloud clusters are updated with the latest.
- Not all current Confluent Platform features are available in Confluent Cloud. For more information, see Confluent Cloud Limits and Supported Features.
How do I sign up for Confluent Cloud?¶
How do I connect to Confluent Cloud?¶
Can I be auto-notified about failures or incidents?¶
Yes, you can view and subscribe to the Confluent Cloud status page.
How is Confluent Cloud priced?¶
Confluent Cloud Enterprise pricing is based on:
- Peak write throughput in MB per second
- Peak read throughput in MB per second
- Total Storage in GB
- Durability (e.g., one AWS Availability zone vs three AWS Availability zones)
Confluent Cloud pricing is based on:
- Data In measured in GB per hour
- Data Out measured in GB per hour
- Data Retained measured in GB per month
Are you charged extra per message, topic, or partition?¶
No, there is no extra charge per message, topic, or partition.
Can I do unlimited retention using log compacted topics with Confluent Cloud?¶
Yes. You can set retention per topic in Confluent Cloud, including unlimited retention with log compaction. You are only limited by the amount of total storage for your cluster.
Are there topic or partition limits?¶
Yes, these are described in Confluent Cloud Limits and Supported Features. If you try to create more partitions than you are allowed, you will see this error:
- "You may not create more than the maximum number of partitions"
What client and protocol versions are supported?¶
Clients must be minimally compatible with Apache Kafka® 0.9, the version where security was introduced. All subsequent versions of the protocol are also supported, including exactly-once transactional messaging, which was introduced in Kafka 0.11.
How do I change support plans?¶
You can manage your support plan from the Resources -> Support plans menu in the upper-right.
What specific security features does Confluent Cloud offer?¶
- All traffic over the wire requires TLS/SSL encryption and SASL_PLAIN authentication.
- All data is encrypted at rest on encrypted volumes.
- You are provided auth keys specific to your cluster which you can revoke or reissue if necessary.
- All data is stored on secure infrastructure, with access controls that are restricted to Confluent engineers, inside a Confluent controlled VPC.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise is a private cluster product. Resources are allocated specifically to each cluster. There is no shared data from other customers in your cluster.
- VPC Peering (optional) provides network-level security for Confluent Cloud Enterprise customers.
For more information, contact the Confluent Cloud team.
Is Kerberos supported on Confluent Cloud?¶
Are Confluent Cloud IP addresses static?¶
No. Because the cloud infrastructure that is used by Confluent Cloud does not guarantee static IPs across cluster changes, DNS is used to provide a consistent address. The underlying IPs may be stable for some period of time, but are subject to change at any time, so they should not be relied upon for any use.
However, DNS for each cluster follows a predictable pattern. If your cluster bootstrap URL is
pkc-12345.<region>.<cloud>.<tld>, all broker endpoints will be of the format
b0-pkc-12345.<region>.<cloud>.<tld>, b1-pkc-12345.<region>.<cloud>.<tld>, b2-pkc-12345.<region>.<cloud>.<tld>, etc.
How does billing work for Confluent Cloud?¶
All billing for Confluent Cloud is done through a credit card. If you have a Confluent Cloud Enterprise subscription, the billing setup is customized for your enterprise.
What payment methods are supported for Confluent Cloud?¶
Confluent Cloud only supports using a credit card for payment. With Confluent Cloud Enterprise you can use purchase order and other methods of payment.
When am I charged for using Confluent Cloud?¶
Pricing for Confluent Cloud is based on a consumption-based model. You only pay for the data you write, store, and read from the cluster. There is no hourly or other provisioning cost for a cluster. The monthly bill is calculated as the price per unit of usage times the total units consumed in the calendar month. For example, if write throughput was priced at $.10 per GB, and you write 500 GB of data to the cluster from January 1st to 31st, you would pay $50, plus storage and read usage charges. The credit card is charged after the end of each calendar month.
To stop incurring charges after a cluster is provisioned, you can do either of the following:
- Delete the cluster.
- Stop all producer and consumer clients and delete all stored data.
What if I only use part of the month with Confluent Cloud?¶
You only pay for what you stream.
How do I change the email address used for billing on the Confluent Cloud cluster?¶
To change the invoice email address, contact the Confluent Cloud team. Your monthly invoice will be emailed to the email address that was provided initially during sign up for Confluent Cloud. The invoice can only be sent to a single email address.
Can I use the same email account for both Confluent Cloud Enterprise and Confluent Cloud?¶
No, an email account can only be in one organization at a time. If you are switching from Confluent Cloud to Confluent Cloud Enterprise
or changing organizations, Confluent can move you to a different organization. If your email provider supports tagging
with a plus sign (
+), then you can register a new account using your existing email address with a different tag.
For example, if you have an existing Confluent Cloud account using
firstname.lastname@example.org then you could register a
Confluent Cloud Enterprise account with this syntax:
Can I put my Confluent Cloud account on hold?¶
No, but you can transfer your data from Confluent Cloud before deleting your cluster. For more information, see Connecting Kafka Connect to Confluent Cloud.
Where can I ask questions about my bill?¶
Use the Contact Us option in the Confluent Cloud web interface to submit a question, and the Confluent team will respond.