KSQL 5.2 includes new features, including:
Support for HTTPS.
Support for CASE expression: KSQL now supports CASE conditional expression in Searched form where KSQL evaluates each condition from left to right. It returns the result for the first condition that evaluates to true. If no condition evaluates to true, the result for the ELSE clause will be returned. If there is no ELSE clause, null is returned.
A new family of UDFs for improved handling of URIs (e.g. extracting information/decoding information), see UDF table for all URL functions
LIMITkeyword support for
Support for read-after-write consistency: new commands don't execute until previous commands have finished executing. This feature is enabled by default in the CLI (#2280) and can be implemented by the user for the REST API (coordinate_multiple_requests).
A log of record processing events to help users debug their KSQL queries. The log can be configured to log to Kafka to be consumed as a KSQL stream. See KSQL processing log for more details.
Aggregation functionality has been extended. KSQL now supports: *
GROUP BYmore than just simple columns, including fields within structs,
arithmetic results, functions, string concatenations and literals.
- literals in the projection, (a.k.a the
HAVINGclauses, including the use of aggregate functions and literals.
- literals in the projection, (a.k.a the
Automatic compatibility management for queries in headless mode across versions. Starting with 5.2, KSQL will automatically take care of ensuring query compatiblity when upgrading. This means you won't need to worry about setting properties correctly during upgrade, as has been required for previous upgrades. Refer to the architecture documentation for details. Note that it is still up to the user to set properties correctly before upgrading to 5.2. The upgrade doc has details about the properties required to safely upgrade to 5.2.
KSQL 5.2 includes bug fixes, including:
- Improved support for multi-line requests in interactive mode deployments. Prior to version 5.2 KSQL parsed the full request before attempting to execute any statements. Requests that contained later statements that were dependent the execution of prior statements may have failed. In version 5.2 and later, this is no longer an issue.
- Improved support for non-interactive, "headless" mode deployments. Prior to version 5.2 KSQL parsed the full script before attempting to execute any statements. The full parse would often fail when later statements relied on the execution of earlier statements. In version 5.2 and later, this is no longer an issue.
KSQL 5.2 deprecates some features, including:
- The use of the
RUN SCRIPTstatement via the REST API is now deprecated and will be removed in the next major release. (Github issue 2179). The feature circumnavigates certain correctness checks and is unnecessary, given the script content can be supplied in the main body of the request. If you are using the
RUN SCRIPTfunctionality from the KSQL CLI you will not be affected, as this will continue to be supported. If you are using the
RUN SCRIPTfunctionality directly against the REST API your requests will work with the 5.2 server, but will be rejected after the next major version release. Instead, include the contents of the script in the main body of your request.
KSQL 5.1 includes new features, including:
- PR-2265 - MINOR: Fix bug encountered when restoring RUN SCRIPT
- PR-2240 - Bring version checker improvements to 5.1.x
- PR-2242 - KSQL-1795: First draft of STRUCT topic
- PR-2235 - KSQL-1794: First draft of query with arrays and maps topic
- PR-2239 - KSQL-1975: Fix munged Docker commands for kafkacat examples
- PR-2232 - KSQL-1912: Fix munged scalar functions table
- PR-2229 - KSQL-1912: Remove extraneous newline
- PR-2227 - KSQL-1912: Add IFNULL to Scalar Functions table
- PR-2219 - KSQL-1912: Add IFNULL function to functions table
- PR-2223 - KSQL-1958: Fix munged CSAS properties table YET AGAIN
- PR-2222 - KSQL-1957: Add links to new topics; also restore missing CSAS and CTAS text
- PR-2221 - DOCS-960: Add link to partitioning topic in key requirements section
- PR-2220 - DOCS-960: Add note about the KEY property
- PR-2134 - KSQL-1787: First draft of Time and Windows topic
- PR-2201 - KSQL-1930: Fix a typo in the new Transform a Stream topic
- PR-2180 - KSQL-1797: First draft of Transform a Stream topic
- PR-2181 - KSQL-1796: First draft of aggregation topic
- PR-2136 - Add reference about compatibility breaking configs in upgrade docs
- PR-2193 - Fix flaky json format test
- PR-2195 - 5.0.x fix flaky
- PR-2174 - DOCS-1006: Fix munged :: block
- PR-2170 - DOCS-911: Fix typos and grammatical errors
- PR-2169 - DOCS-911: Fix typos and grammatical errors
- PR-2142 - KSQL-1786: First draft of KSQL and KStreams topic
- PR-2165 - KSQL-1854: Merge partition sections
- PR-2143 - Fix some bugs in recovery logic
- PR-2156 - KSQL-1864: Remove ksql> prompt from example commands
- PR-2155 - KSQL-1864: Remove ksql> prompt from example commands
- PR-2152 - KSQL-1864: Remove $ chars prompts for example commands
- PR-2150 - Currently we don't support AS for aliasing stream/table.
- PR-2149 - Using ksql topic name instead of Kafka topic name in topic map in metastore.
- PR-2137 - Clarify the description of SUBSTRING and its legacy mode setting.
- PR-2120 - KSQL-1789: First draft of Create a KSQL Table topic
- PR-2132 - KSQL-1853: Fix heading levels in join and partition topics
- PR-2130 - DOCS-950: Reworked partitions topic per feedback
- PR-2122 - Bringing back the commit that was lost because of bad merge.
- PR-2109 - KSQL-1799: New topic: Troubleshoot KSQL
- PR-2092 - Window's UDF doc changes.
- PR-2090 - Add WindowStart and WindowEnd UDFs (#1993)
- PR-2075 - Disable optimizations for 5.1.x
- PR-2051 - Preserve originals when merging configs
- PR-2080 - Fixed the test.
- PR-2079 - Fix deprecation issues.
- PR-2031 - Fix deprecated issues in the build
- PR-2066 - Minor: Fix bug involving filters with NOT keyword.
- PR-2056 - Added stringtodate and datetostring UDFs for 5.1.x
- PR-2048 - Minor: Fix bug involving LIKE patterns without wildcards.
- PR-2045 - List UDAFs for 5.1.x
- PR-2043 - Bump airline version to 2.6.0
- PR-2023 - MINOR: Cause 'ksql help' and 'ksql -help' to behave the same as 'ksql -h' and 'ksql --help'
- PR-1979 - Metrics refactor + fix a couple issues
- PR-2018 - Display stats timestamps in unambiguous format.
- PR-2017 - KSQL-1725: Fix tables and build warnings
- PR-1997 - MINOR: Remove duplicate junit dependency in ksql-examples
- PR-2014 - KSQL-1722: Fix broken inline literal
- PR-2007 - KSQL-1722: Fix build error in changelog.rst
- PR-1991 - Minor: Switch tests to use mock Kafka clients.
- PR-1992 - Minor: Improve test output for QueryTranslationTest
- PR-1999 - KSQL-1717: Fix build warning in faq.rst
- PR-1981 - ST-1153: Switch to use cp-base-new and bash-config to hide passwords by default
- PR-1977 - Use version 5.0.0 for KSQL server image
- PR-1955 - Hide ssl configs and refactor KsqlResourceTest