ksqlDB is an event streaming database purpose-built to help developers create stream processing applications on top of Apache Kafka®.
ksqlDB quick start¶
- Try ksqlDB Standalone with Docker images.
- Get started with hosted ksqlDB in Confluent Cloud in the: Quick Start for Apache Kafka using Confluent Cloud.
- Run ksqlDB locally with Confluent Platform in the Apache Kafka Quick Start.
ksqlDB Standalone and ksqlDB for Confluent Platform¶
These are the ksqlDB distributions:
- ksqlDB Standalone
- ksqlDB Standalone is an open-source project that’s licensed under the Confluent Community License. You can install it by using the ksqldb-server and ksqldb-cli Docker images. For more information, see Install ksqlDB in the ksqlDB Standalone documentation.
- ksqlDB for Confluent Platform
- ksqlDB for Confluent Platform is packaged as part of Confluent Platform. This is a commercial component of Confluent Platform. ksqlDB for Confluent Platform includes enterprise features, like role-based access control, and is available in Confluent Cloud. You can install it by using the cp-ksqldb-cli and cp-ksqldb-server Docker images or by using TAR, ZIP, or Systemd deployments. For more information, see On-Premises Deployments.
The following table summarizes the distributions.
|Project Type||License||Docker Images||TAR, ZIP, Systemd deployment|
|ksqlDB Standalone||Open source||Confluent Community License||n/a|
|ksqlDB for Confluent Platform||Packaged with Confluent Platform||This is a commercial component of Confluent Platform.||On-Premises Deployments|