Create a Cluster in Confluent Cloud¶
This topic describes the steps for creating an Apache Kafka® cluster in the Confluent Cloud Console. To create a cluster with the REST API, see Create a cluster, to use Confluent CLI use confluent kafka cluster commands.
Navigate to the clusters page for your environment. Click Create cluster if this is the first cluster in your environment, or click + Add cluster if your environment has existing clusters.
Select a cluster type (Basic, Standard or Dedicated) and click Begin configuration. For a description of cluster types, see Confluent Cloud Features and Limits by Cluster Type.
Note the following when you create a cluster:
- A Dedicated cluster’s capacity is determined by the number of Confluent Unit for Kafka (CKU). CKUs determine the capacity and limits of your cluster. For details on CKUs, see Limits per CKU. You can add CKUs to your cluster after provisioning to increase its capacity.
- If you are using VPC Peering, PrivateLink, or Transit Gateway, see Networking Overview.
Select a cloud provider and a geographic region, and choose either single-zone or multi-zone availability.
- Cloud provider, region, and availability cannot be changed after provisioning.
On the next page, specify a cluster name. The cluster name should be a friendly name that contains the business use for the cluster. The following requirements apply to the cluster name:
- Cannot exceed 64 characters
- Can contain whitespace, Unicode letters, numbers and marks, and the following special characters: . , & _ + |  / - . Note that using dashes instead of spaces makes it easier to reference the cluster in a programmatic way.
Review your configuration, add or verify your payment method, and click Launch cluster.
If you want to encrypt your at-rest Kafka cluster data to ensure only the appropriate entity or user can decrypt it, use the cluster creation steps in Encrypt Confluent Cloud Clusters using Self-Managed Keys.